Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Kindergarten. We came, we saw, we are conquering (or in my case coping)

Well, we did it. We survived the start of kindergarten, we are six weeks in to be exact and moving right along like a well-oiled, sight-word seeing, number counting machine. We've learned how to maneuver morning drop-offs and after school pick-ups, prepare for the daily task of homework and, maybe the biggest, most eye-opening change, buy our own lunch at school.

And I say "we" survived, because not only was this a big change for my guy, but it was a MAJOR change for me. For every new step kindergarten introduced, I have been nervously standing by watching and waiting for the moment he will say he needs my help, because as we have both learned kindergarten is not just a new and exciting world of school and new friends but it is also the time of letting go.

At the start of the summer I ran into an acquaintance who has a little girl of her own in grade school, and she said one of the most profound things I have heard in regard to your child starting school. She said, "This is the only time we have with them." When you talk with fellow moms of toddlers and preschoolers, it seems that you're always sharing little tips or advice on how to tackle daily challenges, and on this particular day, her statement stuck with me because it is so true. I am so grateful and blessed to have been able to stay home with Braedan from the moment he was born, but those five years flashed at the speed of light. The days, weeks, and years are all a big blur of play dates, mommy and son days at the park, tantrums, sick days, hugs, kisses and I love yous.

So I took my acquaintance's insight to heart, because the clock was ticking on our time together. I made sure the summer before kindergarten was filled with as much fun and good times as we could handle, whether we were here at home or out and about.







And here is my kindergartner on his first day of school. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindergarten. We came, we saw, we are conquering (or in my case coping)

Well, we did it. We survived the start of kindergarten, we are six weeks in to be exact and moving right along like a well-oiled, sight-word...