Thursday, October 11, 2012

Just the Two of Us

Well tomorrow is finally the day and it can't come soon enough. The hubby, Braedan and I will welcome our little girl into the family and a part of me still can't believe the day is actually here. We've done all this preparation and even anticipated an early arrival but as one of my cousins put it, she is just showing up fashionably late. I know I've had the past nine months to prepare for her to join us, and when I say I can't believe the day is here, part of my perplexity is just due to the fact that I can't believe the hubby and I have this wonderful, blessed and growing family. For so long, eight years to be exact, it was just the two us and even as we entered our 30s and welcomed Braedan I still saw us as the young 20 somethings who may or may not seem like they knew what they were doing, and for myself at least, still wondering if we were prepared enough to be parents and bring a little person into the world. I mean many of you know the hubby and his sense of humor. Even though we're approaching our mid-30s he still says things like "When are you gonna drop it like it's hot," his version of "When do you think you'll have the baby," or referring to my ongoing struggle with the discomfort of this pregnancy as, "I don't remember you breakin' down like this the last time." But that's what has made this ride into parenthood so fun, because of him. I'm so glad we have each other to share in this adventure.

I mean just look at the guy's grin, he never smiles that big for a picture unless he's
up to something but that's what makes him fun.
And just as he and I were just the two of us for so long, I grew accustomed and savored every moment of Braedan and I being "just the two us." For the last three years, it's been just Braedan and me, and we both have had so much fun. My sweet boy has taken me on one of the best rides, that of a mother and son relationship and with his sister now arriving I wait with wonder and awe as I prepare for the mother, daughter relationship. Today we went on a small date for frozen yogurt and as we sat there it made me smile thinking of how he will now move into a new kind of "two of us," which is that of big brother and little sister.

We head out early in the morning so that I can be induced, and I wanted to thank all of our friends and family, near and far, for your prayers and well wishes. You have all made the preparation for her arrival that much more exciting and we can't wait for all of you to finally meet her.

1 comment:

  1. Jen,

    This is such a beautiful post - gave me goosebumps. I am so excited for all of you (you two, you three and soon to be you four)!!!!

    Thinking about you and sending a big hug from Ohio.

    xox
    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Kindergarten. We came, we saw, we are conquering (or in my case coping)

Well, we did it. We survived the start of kindergarten, we are six weeks in to be exact and moving right along like a well-oiled, sight-word...