Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Girlfriends...Can't Live With Them, Unfortunately, and Most Certainly Can't Live Without Them

Earlier this month I had the rarest of opportunities--a chance to spend a fun-filled weekend with a few girlfriends. Sadly not all of them were there, but it was still just as enjoyable and before the weekend was over we were already discussing next year and how we would get the rest of the gang together. The last time I was able to indulge in a girls weekend the fun came to me with everyone trekking to Chicago, but this time I got to get away.

And where you ask was my man-free weekend located. Call me crazy, but I ventured out to another one of the coldest cities in the country--Denver. I know I sound like a weenie, and it actually wasn't bad at all. That particular destination was chosen since my friend Megan lives there. The few of us who went thought it would be fun to check out the slopes of Breckenridge, and even though Megan just completed her first full year of living in Denver this past December, she knows the slopes of Breckenridge like the back of her hand. For the last year, she's been frequenting the various ski towns outside of Denver having taken up snowboarding, and to these skiing-novice eyes she looked like a pro to me. And not only do I have one friend who knows her way around a snow-capped mountain, but I found out my friend Jen is closet ski bunny. Prior to arriving there she mentioned it had been about four years since she last skied, but as soon as she zipped down for her first run her ski legs quickly came back to her and she too looked like a seasoned skier. My other friend Neely who has never skied before took a lesson that first day we arrived and being as athletic as she is, she had no problem picking up the proper form and venturing out for a few runs. I, on the other hand, am a big scaredy-cat when it comes to skiing and I'm perfectly happy sticking to the user-friendly green runs. It had been over 10 years since I last skied and I should have also taken a lesson to get rid of a little bit of my nerves, but luckily I came back home with everything intact.

The mountains looked amazing and we enjoyed more of the view along with a little bit of shopping on our last day there. Megan is on the far right, Jen is in the red jacket and Neely is to the left of her. I have known these girls since my freshman of year in college.


And although I enjoyed every bit of the weekend, I dearly missed my little guy. I got a little teary when I said goodbye to him, and I had prepped him so much for my departure that he did not even bat an eye when it was time for me to go. In fact the morning I left he was getting ready to watch one of his favorite shows and as I was trying to get the show started for him he was already telling me, "OK mommy go bye, bye." I guess he didn't want anymore delays to the start of his day. Luckily the week before my trip, daddy gave him a hair cut so he was looking extra cute, and I had this picture to hold me over until I could squeeze him and his cheeks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindergarten. We came, we saw, we are conquering (or in my case coping)

Well, we did it. We survived the start of kindergarten, we are six weeks in to be exact and moving right along like a well-oiled, sight-word...