Thursday, September 20, 2012

Don't Blink or You'll Miss It

A couple of weeks ago while in the shower, which happens to be the one place where I get some alone time and do my best thinking for the day, you know the typical mom stuff: What will we have for dinner tonight? I need to add grapes to the grocery list? What am I going to wear today. Well during that particular morning while running through my scattered thoughts list, I realized that September was almost over. On top of that it felt as though I had blinked and pretty much missed August. If it wasn't for looking back and reflecting on the numerous good times we had that month, I would just continue on thinking that August was just another blurred moment until the baby arrives.

But August started out with another episode of "Parents Gone Wild" as we both celebrated and mourned the move of our dear friends and neighbors, the Jensens. Like us, the Jensens have moved around a bit with the ultimate goal of getting back to San Antonio, and during the summer they finally received their wish much to our and other friends dismay. I think other mutual friends of the Jensens can agree with me when I say they have been our go to source for a good time. So it was only appropriate that they continue their streak, and leave us with the ultimate of good-byes by coordinating a fun-filled weekend which included drinks, dancing and a dinner party.
 
It's been a full month since they moved and LWOJ, or Life Without the Jensens, has been an adjustment, but we are surviving. Even Braedan understood the impact of their move and has significantly cut down his questions on whether his good buddies Ethan and Carter would be at certain play dates. When I tell him that they unfortunately won't be there and remind him they now live in San Antonio, he immediately tells me, "I go to San Antonio to visit them," and I make sure to let him know they will be reunited again. I love that I can tell him they are the first friends he ever made here in Corpus.

 
 
During that following week I celebrated my birthday, and it was a typical, quiet day, which has become the norm now that we have a family. And living up to my pregnant lady role, my dinner request for that evening was a nice, big bacon cheeseburger grilled by the hubby. He fulfilled my other pregnant lady cravings by bringing home cupcakes, and the icing on the cake to it all (no pun intended) was having Braedan sing "Happy Birthday" to me. During his serenade he made sure to put himself as close as possible to the cupcake.


The weekend after that I decided to make a trip to San Antonio making it the last time I would drive up there until the baby comes. I kept going back and forth on the timing of this trip causing a frenzy of planning for my sister because unbeknownst to me, she was secretly working on a surprise baby shower. Even with my typical, and not to mention annoying, habit of indecisiveness she still managed to pull it off. She got my whole family to be there and even a few of my closest girlfriends from college. I do not know what I did in my previous life to have been blessed with such a thoughtful, giving and helpful sister. She truly is the best, because like I said she pulled it all together within a matter of days since I kept changing my mind. She managed to get everyone there on short notice, make party favors, coordinate with family to help with decorations and other favors, bake my cake, and on top of that, pretty much watched Braedan the entire shower because as usual he did not want to be more than two feet away from her.

 When the baker she was trying to order from couldn't fulfill the request, she said no problem I'll just bake the cake.
 Our family
 My sweet girlfriends who always make time to visit despite their busy schedules.
 And Braedan enjoying his favorite part of the shower.

By the length of this post, August looks pretty busy, but I still haven't finished. So as they say, to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindergarten. We came, we saw, we are conquering (or in my case coping)

Well, we did it. We survived the start of kindergarten, we are six weeks in to be exact and moving right along like a well-oiled, sight-word...